Advanced: syncopated rhythms in 6/8, extended range,
ascending/descending arpeggios and octave skips.
- Grade: Second
- Origin: England – Nursery Rhyme
- Key: A Flat Major
- Time: 6/8
- Form: rhythm: ABABCDCD – pitches: ABAbCDCE
- Rhythm: advanced: | ta ti ti ti ti | ta/ ta ti | syncopation, | ta ti ta ti | syncopation, | ta/a/ ti ri |
syncopation, | ta ti ta ti ri | syncopation
- Pitches: advanced: Mi Fa So La Ti Do Re Mi So – extended range
- Intervals: advanced: So/Mi, Mi\Do\So descending tonic arpeggio, Mi/So/Mi8, Do\So, So/Re, Re\Ti\Sodescending dominate arpeggio, So/Do, So/So8dominate octave skip, So8\So dominate octave skip
- Musical Elements: notes; dotted quarter, quarter, eighth, sixteenth; pickup beat, tied notes, feeling duple meter (dotted quarters) in 6/8 time, syncopation, melodic rhythm patterns
- Key Words: world geography: England; nursery rhyme, sailing, parts of a boat/ship, sea, deeply, laden, pretty, candy, cabin, apples, hold (lower storage area), sails, satin, masts, gold, four and twenty (24), stood, decks, white, mice, rings, necks, captain, duck, jacket, fairy, quack, duck sounds
|I saw a ship a-sailing,
A-sailing on the sea,
And it was deeply laden
With pretty things for me.
There was candy in the cabin
And apples in the hold;
The sails were made of satin
And the masts were made of gold.
|2.||The four and twenty sailors
That stood between the decks,
Were four and twenty black mice
With rings about their necks.
The captain was a duck, a duck
With a jacket on his back;
And when the fairy ship set sail
The captain said, “Quack, quack.”
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)