Descending tonic arpeggio and counting beats in 6/8 time
with dotted quarter note syncopation, minor seventh (So/Fa).
- Grade: Kindergarten
- Origin: England, 19th-century Nursery Rhyme*
- Key: F Major
- Time: 6/8
- Form: AABC
- Rhythm: advanced: | ta ti ti ti ti | ta/ ta/ |
| ta ti ta ti | syncopation, | ti ti ti ti ti ti |
- Pitches: advanced: So La Ti Do Re Mi Fa
- Intervals: advanced: Mi\Do\So descending tonic arpeggio, So/Fa (m7), Ti\So, Ti/Re
- Musical Elements: notes: dotted quarter, quarter, eighth; vocal slur; 6/8 time: eighth note receives one beat, divisions of a dotted quarter note: three eights (3 ti’s), feeling duple meter (2) in 6/8: where three eights would be a triplet if the beat is represented by a dotted quarter
- Key Words: boys, girls, frogs, snails, puppy-dog’s tails, sugar, spice, nice
* From a larger work, “What Folks Are Made Of” or “What All the World is Made Of.”
What are little boys made of?
What are little girls made of?