An unusual time signature (3/8) and distinguishing the intervals
Do\So/Do (P4) and So\La/Do (m3).
- Grade: Third
- Origin: United States, John Henry Hopkins, Jr.
- Key: G Major
- Time: 3/8
- Form: AB – verse/refrain
- Rhythm:beginners: | ta ti | ti ti ti | ta/ |
| ta (ti) |
- Pitches: intermediate: So La Ti Do Re Mi Fa So
- Intervals: intermediate: Do\La, La/Mi, La/Do, Mi/So8, Ti/Re, Do\So/Do, Do\La/Do
- Musical Elements: notes: dotted quarter, quarter, eighth; rest: eighth; fermata, 3/8 time signature, verse/refrain; distinguishing between the minor third ( m3) and the perfect fourth (p4)
- Key Words: US geography: Williamsport, Pennsylvania; world geography: Bethlehem, Orient; sacred, Christmas, birth of Jesus, Christ, God, Three Wise men, bearing, traverse, moor, yonder (a distance away), plain, crown, ceasing, reign, frankincense, incense, Deity, nigh, praising, raising, worship, myrrh, bitter, perfume, breathes, gathering, gloom, sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, stone-cold, tomb, glorious, behold, sacrifice, alleluia, earth, beauty, westward, proceeding, guide, perfect, replies; abbreviations: seal’d (sealed), heav’n (heaven)
- Recorder: intermediate: playing in G major, introducing F#
|We three kings of Orient are;
Bearing gifts we traverse afar,
Field and fountain, moor and mountain,
Following yonder star.
|O star of wonder, star of night,
Star with royal beauty bright,
Westward leading, still proceeding,
Guide us to thy perfect light.
|Born a King on Bethlehem’s plain
Gold I bring to crown Him again,
King forever, ceasing never,
Over us all to reign.
|3.||Frankincense to offer have I;
Incense owns a Deity nigh;
Prayer and praising, voices raising,
Worshipping God on high.
|4.||Glorious now behold Him arise;
King and God and sacrifice;
Sounds through the earth and skies.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)