Advanced syncopation in 6/8, tempo change to 2/4, and a distinct sounding interval So\Ti (minor 6th).
- Grade: Fourth
- Origin: USA – Sea Chantey, Play Party*, Folk Song
- Key: F Major
- Time: 6/8 and 2/4
- Form: staves: ABCDCE – song: ABA
- Rhythm: advanced: 6/8: | ta ti ta ti | syncopation, | ti ta/a ti | syncopation, | ta/a ti | ti ta/ ti ti | syncopation, | ta/ ta/ | ta/a (ti) |
2/4: | ti ti ri ti ri ti ri | syncopation, | ti ti ti ti |
- Pitches: intermediate: So La Ti Do Re Mi So
- Intervals: intermediate: Mi/So8\Mi (m3), Do\So (P4), La/Do\La (m3), So\Ti (m6), Ti/Re (m3), So8\Do (P5)
- Musical Elements: notes: dotted quarter, quarter, eighth, sixteenth, pickup beat, time signature change from 6/8 to 2/4 (tempo increase), three eight notes equal one dotted quarter note, syncopation, D.C. al Fine, Fine
- Key Words: USA – history, play party song, social dancing, sea chanty, USA geography: Ohio River; sailing, down below, jump, over, middle; contraction: can’t (cannot), we’re (we are)
* Play-party: social event for singing and dancing, when dancing was banned by religion in the southern and mid-western United States.