“Songs of a Little Child’s Day”
By the Sea
By the Sea
Introducing dotted quarter notes and singing the scale while stepping up and down the staff.
- Grade: First
- Origin: Emilie Poulsson, Eleanor Smith
- Key: D Major
- Time: 2/4
- Form: AB
- Rhythm: beginners: | ti ti ti ti | ta ti ti | ta/ ti |
- Pitches: intermediate: Ti Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do
- Intervals: intermediate: Fa/La, Fa\Re, Re\Ti
- Musical Elements: notes: dotted quarter, eighth; pickup beat, repeat signs, multiple endings, singing/playing the ascending scale, tempo: moderato con moto/moderately with motion (86-97 BPM), dynamics: crescendo, decrescendo
- Key Words: earth science, ocean waves, sea, seashore, gather, treasures, beach, tide, floating, reach, dashed, threw, sands, pretty, eager, hands, abbreviations: cover’d (covered), tow’rd (toward)
|A child who went to gather
Some treasures on the beach.
Found all were cover’d by the tide
Or floating out of reach.
|But soon a wave dashed tow’rd him,
And threw up on the sands
More pretty things than he could hold
In both his eager hands.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)