Introducing the 6th (La) to the tonic arpeggio.
- Grade: Second
- Origin: USA – Appalachian Folk Song
- Key: F Major
- Time: 2/4
- Form: rhythm: AABB – pitches: ABCc – song: AB (verse/refrain)
- Rhythm: beginners: | ti ti ti ti | ta (ta) | ta ta |
- Pitches: beginners: Do Re Mi So La – pentatonic scale
- Intervals: intermediate: Do/Mi, Do/Mi/So ascending tonic arpeggio, So\Mi\Do descending tonic arpeggio, La\Mi
- Musical Elements: notes: quarter, eighth; rest: quarter; verse/refrain, tonic arpeggio
- Key Words: USA geography, earth science, Appalachians, rocky, mountain, stormy, ocean, hide, sunny, valley, low, soft and low, remember; contraction: you’re (you are)
- Keyboard: intermediate: upper grades – practicing the tonic arpeggio; left, right and two hands together
|1.||Rocky mountain, rocky mountain, rocky mountain high,
When you’re on that rocky mountain, hang your head and cry.
Do, do, do, do, Do remember me.
|Stormy ocean, stormy ocean, stormy ocean wide,
When you’re on that stormy ocean, there’s no place to hide.
|3.||Sunny valley, sunny valley, sunny valley low,
When you’re in that sunny valley sing it soft and low.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)