Syncopation in 6/8 meter while adding the submediant
(six, La) to the beginning Orff interval, So\Mi.
- Grade: Kindergarten
- Origin: England – Nursery Rhyme, Children’s Playground Song*
- Key: C Major
- Time: 6/8
- Form: AaBC
- Rhythm: intermediate: | ta ti ta ti | syncopation,
| ta/ ta ti | syncopation, | ta/ ta/ |
- Pitches: beginners: Do Mi So La
- Intervals: beginners: So\Mi, Mi/La, Mi\Do
- Musical Elements: notes: dotted quarter, quarter, eighth; rests: eighth, dotted quarter; 6/8 time: eighth note receives one beat, divisions of a dotted quarter note: three eights (3 ti’s), feeling duple meter (2) in 6/8: where three eights would be a triplet if the beat is represented by a dotted quarter
- Key Words: world georaphy: England; playground game song, posies, ashes, fall, down, pocketful, mother, jump, up, upstairs, downstairs, pail water, sea, water, cows, meadow, buttercups, fishes, one, two, three
* While holding hands, children walk in a circle singing the song, until the last word (down) when they all fall to the floor. The last child to fall is out of the game and the game continues.