Advanced syncopation, in 2/2 time (cut time), carried across the barline, triplets, and proper grammatical use of pronouns.
- Grade: Fourth
- Origin: USA – African American Spiritual
- Key: G Major
- Time: 2/2 – advanced: cut time
- Form: through composed
- Rhythm: advanced: | ta/a/_|_a ti ti ti |
| ti ta/a_|_a ti ti/ ri | syncopation,
| ti-ti-ti ta/_|_a ti ti ti | triplet syncopation,
| ta/ ti | ti ta ti | syncopation – (_=tied note)
- Pitches: intermediate: So La Do Re Mi So La – pentatonic scale
- Intervals: intermediate: Do/Mi, Do\La/Do, Mi/So8, So8\Mi Do\So
- Musical Elements: notes: whole, dotted half, half, dotted quarter, quarter, eighth; rest: quarter; cut time, pickup beat, triplet, tied notes, vocal slur, phrases beginning on the second half of the first beat (and of 1) and the second beat
- Key Words: USA history, African American history, spiritual, sacred, Jesus, Bible Story, Jesus, walked, lonesome, valley, walk; pronouns: He, Him, Himself, you, yourself, yourselves, we, us, ourselves – note the capitalization when referencing Jesus
|1.||Jesus walked this lonesome valley,
He had to walk it by Himself,
Oh, nobody else could walk it for Him.
He had to walk it for Himself.
|We must walk this lonesome valley,
We have to walk it by ourselves,
Oh, nobody else can walk it for us.
We have to walk it for ourselves
|3.||You must go and stand your trial,
You have to stand it by yourselves,
Oh, nobody else can stand it for you.
You have to stand it for yourself.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)