Ascending minor tonic arpeggio, a sharped dominate (Si, which functions as a 7th to the parallel D Major) and an advanced
interval Mi/Si, a very distinctive interval in D minor.
- Grade: Fourth
- Origin: USA – African American Spiritual
- Key: D minor – pitched in F Major
- Time: 4/4
- Form: AB – verse/refrain
- Rhythm: intermediate: | ti ti ti ti ti ti ta |
| ti ti ti ti ta/a | ti ti ti ta/a/ | syncopation,
| ta ta ta ta | ta ta ta/a | ta ta/a/a | (_ = tied note)
| ta/a/a/a_|_a/a/a ta | _ta/a ti ti ti ti | ta/a (ta) ti ti |
- Pitches: intermediate: La Do Re Mi So Si La – raised/sharped dominate (Si)
- Intervals: advanced: La/Do/Mi ascending minor tonic arpeggio (Dm), Do\La, Mi/Si, Mi/La, So\Mi
- Musical Elements: notes: whole, dotted half, half, quarter, eighth; pickup beat, tied notes, pitches held for seven and six beats; note the variations in rhythm using the same pitches, measures 2 and 4
- Key Words: USA history, African American history, African American Spiritual, sacred, work song, Farming with a plow, tire, farming rows, higher and higher, stays, lead, straight, heaven, promised land, contractions: I’ll (I will), abbreviation: ev’ry (every)
- Recorder: intermediate: introducing C# and practicing the ascending tonic arpeggio, Dm
|1.||If you want to get to heaven, I’ll tell you how,
Keep your hand right on that plow .
|Keep you hand on that plow,
Hold on, hold on, hold on.
Hold on, hold on,
Keep your hand right on that plow,
|Keep on plowing and don’t you tire,
Ev’ry row goes higher and higher.
|3.||If that plow stays in your hand,
Lead you straight to the promised land.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)