Keeping a steady beat and developing the individual voice.
- Grade: First
- Origin: United States Singing Game
- Key: F Major
- Time: 2/4
- Form: AaBa
- Rhythm: beginners: | ti ti ti ti | ta ta | ta/a |
- Pitches: beginners: Do Re Mi So La
- Intervals: intermediate: Mi/So, So\Re/So, Mi\Do, Re/La, La\Do, So\Do
- Musical Elements: notes: half, quarter, eighth, movement with a steady beat, singing alone and with others
- Key Words: button, singing games, wander, sharp, ev’rywhere (everywhere)
Using a single button, one student is surrounded by the class in a circle. The center student closes their eyes as the class sings the tune while passing the button to student on their right, using a steady beat. At the end of the song all students place their hands behind their backs as if hiding the button. The center student has three chances to pick who has the button. If chosen, the student with the button takes the place of the student in the middle of the circle.
Variation: student with the button sings the third (3rd) line alone.