Minor tonality, the sixth (La) is the tonal center in the major key, intervals of a perfect fourth (P4) and minor third (m3).
- Grade: Fifth
- Origin: USA – Traditional
- Key: D minor (pitched in F Major)
- Time: 2/2 – counted in 4/4
- Form: Aa – verse/refrain
- Rhythm: intermediate: | ta ta ti ti ta | ta ta ta ta |
| ta/a ta/ ti | syncopation, | ta ta ta ti ti |
| ta/a/a ti/ ri | syncopation, | ta/ ti ti ti ta | syncopation
- Pitches: beginners: La Ti Do Re Mi La
- Intervals: intermediate: La/Do (m3), Re\Ti (m3), Mi\Ti (P4), Mi/La\Mi (P4), Do\La (m3)
- Musical Elements: notes: dotted half, half, dotted quarter, quarter, dotted eighth, eighth; pickup beat, two double barlines, syncopation, minor tonality where the sixth (La) of the major scale is the tonal center, vocal slurs
- Key Words: USA history, westward expansion, religious revivals of the 1800’s; world geography: Jordan, Canaan, Jordan River; Lord, sacred, song of Heaven, stormy, banks, cast, wishful, possessions, promised, bound, generous fruit, immortal, brooks, milk, honey, vales, soul, prepare, never-ending, everlasting, pleasures, praises, cease; possessives: Jordan’s, Canaan’s
|1.||On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand
And cast a wishful eye,
To Canaan’s fair and happy land
Where my possessions lie.
|I am bound for the promised land,
Bound for the promised land;
Oh, who will come and go with me,
I am bound for the promised land.
|There, generous fruits which never fail
On trees immortal grow,
There rocks and hills and brooks and vales
With milk and honey flow.
|3.||The Lord my soul will soon prepare
For never-ending peace,
Where everlasting pleasures roll
And praises never cease.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)