Beginners syncopation, stepping down the staff from dominate to dominate, and an advanced interval minor 7th, So/Fa.
- Grade: Fourth
- Origin: USA – music: William J. Kirkpatrick, words: unknown
- Key: G Major
- Time: 3/4
- Form: ABAC
- Rhythm: beginners: | ta/ ti ta | syncopation,
| ta ta ta | ta/a ta |
- Pitches: intermediate: So La Ti Do Re Mi Fa So
- Intervals: advanced: So/Re, Re\Ti, So/Do/Mi/So ascending tonic arpeggio, So/Fa, Re\La
- Musical Elements: notes: half, dotted quarter, quarter, eighth; pickup beat, syncopation, tonic arpeggio, stepping down the staff from So to So
- Key Words: sacred, Christmas hymn, Christmas carol, birth of Jesus, holiday song, manger, Lord Jesus, cattle, lowing, awakes, Thee, cradle, nigh, pray, bless, children, Thy, tender care, heaven (note the capitalization of the pronouns: Thee, Thy, and He)
|1.||Away in a manger, no crib for His bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head.
The stars in the sky looked up where He lay.
The little Lord Jesus asleep in the hay.
|The cattle are lowing, the Baby awakes,
The little Lord Jesus no crying He makes.
I love Thee, Lord Jesus! Look down from the sky.
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.
|3.||Be near me, Lord Jesus I ask Thee to stay,
Close by me forever and love me I pray.
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
And take us to heaven to live with Thee there.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)