Beats and rhythm are in cut time (2/2),
sharped fourth (Fi, F#), tonic (I) and supertonic (II) arpeggios,
and two intervals of a minor sixth (m6).
- Grade: Fifth
- Origin: USA – words: Hart Miles and R. Lovell
music: Charles Zimmerman
- Key: C Major
- Time: 2/2, cut time
- Form: phrases: ABCDAbCE – song: AB
- Rhythm: advanced: in cut time: | ta/a | ta ta |
| ta/ ti | syncopation, | ti/ ri ti ti | syncopation
- Pitches: advanced: Do Re Mi Fa Fi So La Ti Do Re Mi – sharped fourth (Fi, F#), extended range
- Intervals: advanced: Do/Mi/So ascending tonic (I) arpeggio (C), La\Mi/La (P4), La/Do (m3), Re8\So(P5), So/Do8 (P4), Do\Fi (m6), Fi/La/Re8 ascending arpeggio (II, D, V of V), Ti\So (M3), Fa\Re (m3),
Mi8\So (m6), So\Fi/So (m2), So/Re\So (P5)
- Musical Elements: notes: whole, dotted half, half, dotted quarter, quarter, eighth; rests: half, quarter; syncopation in cut time, tied notes, raised/sharped fourth (Fi, F#), tonic and supertonic arpeggios
- Key Words: USA history, military, USA military, college fight songs, college game songs, sea, fight, battle cry, vicious foe, steer shy, roll, T.N.T., victory, sink, bones, Davy Jones ( an idiom for the bottom of the sea), farewell, sail, through, shore, foam, wishing, voyage, Army Grey
- Recorder: advanced: introducing F#
|1.||Stand Navy out to sea,
Fight our battle cry.
We’ll never change our course
So vicious foe steer shy.
Roll out the T.N.T.
Sail on to victory,
And sink their bones
To Davy Jones, hooray!
|Anchors aweigh, my boys,
Farewell to college joys,
We sail at break of day.
Through our last night on shore,
Drink to the foam;
Until we meet once more,
Here’s wishing you
A happy voyage home.
|2.||Stand, Navy, down the field,
Sail to the sky.
We’ll never change our course,
So, Army, you steer shy.
Roll up the score, Navy,
Sail, Navy down the field,
And sink the Army,
Sink the Army Grey.
Additional Formats (click to enlarge)