Excellent for introducing or reinforcing the symbol and meaning of the repeat sign.
- Identify the repeat sign. What is different about this double bar? (two dots)
- “For those who do not know what it is called, we will do what it means, and see if we can determine what it is called.”
- On the board, or transparency, draw an ending repeat sign on the far right side.
- Draw a repeat sign on the far left side.
- While drawing the arrow, and going back and forth between the two repeat signs, chant the following rap. Invite the students to join in.
- “Who can tell me what they think this sign with two bars and two dots is called?” (REPEAT) (Most will offer “repeat” – you will need to add “sign.”)
- At the end of current lesson, or beginning of next lesson, run a relay race using the repeat sign. (see RELAY RACE)